Sunday, March 30, 2014
RSC Expert Panel/A Review of Safety Code 6 (2013): Health Canada's Safety Limits for Exposure to Radiofrequency Fields
March 27, 2014 09:00 ET
OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - March 27, 2014) - The Royal Society of Canada will release the Expert Panel Report on the Review of Safety Code 6: Potential Health Risks of Radiofrequency Fields at a press conference in Ottawa on April 1, 2014 at 09h00.
The Expert Panel was set up by the Royal Society in response to a request from Health Canada, the federal agency responsible for regulations regarding health effects of wireless communication technologies. The Panel was charged with determining whether Health Canada's proposed changes to Safety Code 6 (SC6) provide adequate protection from established adverse health effects, whether there are other potential health impacts that should be considered, and whether additional precautionary measures should be recommended.
In their report, the Panel addressed five key questions:
• Do the basic restrictions specified in SC6 (2013) provide adequate protection for both workers and the general population from established adverse health effects from Radiofrequency (RF) fields?
• Are there any other established adverse health effects occurring at exposure levels below the Basic Restrictions in SC6 (2013) that should be considered for revising the Basic Restrictions and Reference Levels in SC6 (2013)?
• Is there sufficient evidence upon which to establish separate Basic Restrictions or recommendations for the eye?
• Do the Reference Levels established in SC6 (2013) provide adequate protection against exceeding the Basic Restrictions in SC6 (2013)?
• Should additional precautionary measures be introduced into the human exposure limits in SC6 (2013)? If so, what is recommended and why?
Following the press conference, the report will become publicly and freely available for download on the website of the Royal Society of Canada at: https://rsc-src.ca/en/expert-panels/rsc-reports
Established in 1882, The Royal Society of Canada is Canada's senior collegium of distinguished Canadian scholars, artists and scientists.
Senior Officer of Communications
The Royal Society of Canada
(613) 991-5642, Mobile: (613) 816-4967