Collaborative for High Performing Schools (CHPS)
- Desktop computers, laptops, notebooks, and tablets be operated on a desk; operation of these devices on an occupant’s lap or body is prohibited; computer workstation equipment must be greater than 2 feet from occupants.
- Desktop computers, laptops, notebooks, and tablets be TCO-certified or laboratory tested to meet TCO Criteria “Mandate A.4.2” for EMF emissions.
- Laptops or notebooks have an Ethernet port and a physical switch to conveniently disable all wireless radios at onceand an adaptor with a 3-pin plug.
- Only tablets that support a USB Ethernet adaptor for a wired network connection; operate tablets only in battery mode and not when plugged in.
- Install a wired local area network (LAN) for Internet access throughout the school. Provide wired network connections for desktop computers, laptops, notebooks, and tablets. All wireless transmitters shall be disabled on all Wi-Fi-enabled devices. Provide wired input devices for computer workstations.
- Install easily accessible hard-wired phones for teacher and student use and prohibit installation and use of standard DECT cordless phones and cordless phones operating at 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz unless they have been laboratory tested to demonstrate that the cordless phone base station and handsets (whether placed in the charging station or not) do not emit RF EMF emissions in standby mode.
- Prohibit the use of cell phones and other personal electronic devices in instructional areas / classrooms. Additionally, they shall be required to be powered off or be in airplane mode (sleep mode is not sufficient) except during fire-life-safety drills and incidents.