Radiating corruption? The frightening science and politics of cell phone safety
A growing body of scientific evidence show that cell phone users suffer a range of negative health impacts from infertility and brain tumors to hyperactivity and memory loss, writes Gary Null. Yet the Center for Disease Control has taken a weak and ambiguous stance on the issue, reflecting industry interests at the expense of citizens. We deserve - and must demand - better.
- According to research, radiation from cell phones is more easily absorbed by children than adults, although this is dependent on the age of the child, and the type of phone used.
- A Danish study surveying more than 13,000 children found an 80% increase the likelihood of behavioral problems among children who use cell phones and whose mothers used cell phones during pregnancy.
- Research suggests that long-term and heavy cell phone users have an increased risk of developing glioma, a brain tumor that is often cancerous. The research discovers thetumors usually appearing on the side of the head favored during cell phone conversations.
- Long-term exposure to cell phone radiation is linked with a 60% higher risk of developing a condition known as acoustic neuroma, a benign brain tumor.
- Heavy cell phone use increases the risk of benign salivary gland tumors by 60%.
- Radiation from cell phones produces reactive oxygen species, which may contribute to DNA damage resulting in inflammatory conditions such as cancer and heart disease.
- Brain cancer risk tripled among individuals who used cell phones for more than 15 hours monthly.
- Lower sperm quality among men who carried their cell phone in their pant pocket when compared to men who carried cell phones:
- Higher cell phone use linked with lower sperm quality.
- Cell phone use associated with decreased sperm motility.
- Men who used cell phones for more than four hours daily found to have lower sperm quality and 42% lower sperm count compared to those who didn't use cell phones.
- Analysis of semen samples exposed to radiation from cell phones show sizeable decreases in sperm count, quality and higher levels of inflammatory markers.
- Cell phone wave exposure appears to decrease the potential for fertilization in semen samples.
- Cell phone use linked with erectile dysfunction.
Brain / Neurological Health
- Electromagnetic frequencies from cell phones alter brain tissue activity by increasing glucose metabolism.
- Yale University researchers show that mice exposed to cell phone radio frequencies in utero exhibited impaired memory and hyperactivity.
- Thirty minutes of cellphone use causes spontaneous low-frequency fluctuations in the brain.
- Cellphone use may interfere with brain sleep patterns.
- Exposure to electromagnetic cell phone frequencies damages fetal brains in study on rats.
- Accordingly, some parties recommend taking measures to further reduce exposure to [radiofrequency] energy. The FCC does not endorse the need for these practices.
- Some parties recommend that you consider the reported SAR value of wireless devices. However, comparing the SAR of different devices may be misleading.
Why has the CDC - an institution with more than enough resources to thoroughly investigate such issues - failed to take into account the preponderance of evidence suggesting a link between cell phone use and health problems?