Microwave - and other forms of electromagnetic - radiation are major (but conveniently disregarded, ignored, and overlooked) factors in many modern unexplained disease states. Insomnia, anxiety, vision problems, swollen lymph, headaches, extreme thirst, night sweats, fatigue, memory and concentration problems, muscle pain, weakened immunity, allergies, heart problems, and intestinal disturbances are all symptoms found in a disease process the Russians described in the 70's as Microwave Sickness.
High-level radiation which is known to cause cellular and DNA damage.
IMAGE COURTESY OF NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES
The focus of this article is on our everyday exposures to non-ionizing radiation through electric appliances, home wiring systems, and wireless internet services. (As pictured above.)
Is there a connection between non-ionizing radiation and bio-contaminants such as those found in indoor mold and Lyme Disease?
The research is fascinating on this topic. At the forefront is Dr. Dietrich Klinghardt, MD., PhD., noted for his successful treatment of neurological illness and chronic pain. In the 5 minute video below, Dr. Klinghardt talks about a mold plate experiment which compared a mold plate shielded from electromagnetic fields to an unprotected mold plate exposed to ambient electromagnetic fields.
The unprotected mold plate showed a dramatic increase in the number of biotoxins produced – more than 600 times! Dr. Klinghardt concludes that indoor mold contaminants as well as other biotoxins (such as those found in Lyme Disease), are highly sensitive to electromagnetic fields. EMFs therefore easily step up neurotoxin production and have a major impact on the immune system.
Note that Dr. Klinghardt points out cell phone radiation in one cubic inch of air is millions of times higher than it was ten years ago.
(While the caption is in German, the content is in English.)
Dr. Thomas Rau, medical director of the Paracelsus Clinic in Switzerland, shares his assessment of the microbial connection with EMFs in an interview featured on the website Electromagnetic Health. Not only do the artificially produced electromagnetic waves cause toxic mold to grow faster, they suppress the production of beneficial microbes.
We have more organisms than cells in our bodies. Cultures of normal human endogenous bacterial cultures grow much less when exposed to EMR. They grow less when they are around a mobile phone, a tower or cordless phone.
Growing less good bacteria in your body means you will have an overgrowth of bad bacteria that can result in things like Lyme’s disease. Especially from the east coast of the USA, we have many patients with Lymes. Antibiotics only make it worse. We look how the good flora responds and how they grow, recolonise. We have to reimplant the good bacteria. Within six weeks the Lyme’s patients get well or much better.
Toxic mould in homes grows much faster under the load of high electromagnetic loads. They grow much faster in a disturbed milieu. Mercury / heavy metals can also exacerbate the growth.
(The transcript of this interview appears at EMR Stop.)
There are other studies that highlight the connection between electromagnetic radiation and microbial multiplication.
Researchers at NYC’s Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University found evidence that certain types of fungi have the ability to use radioactivity as an energy source for growth. (Read more here.)
What does this mean when it comes to electromagnetic fields and microbial growth? Since the government is soft on both EMR and toxic mold, unfortunately it is up to us to take charge of our environment.
1. Eliminate mold from the home
Most homes today are built with drywall, which consists of cellulose. Cellulose is the ideal “food” for mold, causing the spores to multiply rapidly. Therefore, it is imperative to eliminate water damage from the home. If flooding or a water leak occurs, quick action is required. If the water intrusion is extensive, radical action is sometimes necessary. If mold is an issue in your home, learn more in the article A Beginner’s Guide to Toxic Mold.
2. Reduce electromagnetic field exposure
While this is a complex issue, thankfully there are numerous ways to reduce our exposure. Dr. Kinghardt as well as those in the field of Building Biology advise everyone, whether immune compromised or not, to create a sleep sanctuary. This involves sleeping away from devices and appliances, shutting off power to the bedroom, and turning off the Wi Fi at night. For more specifics and a complete explanation, see the International Institute for Building Biology and Ecology’s free downloadable article Creating a Sleep Sanctuary – Reducing Electrosmog, as well as my post Sleep, Melatonin, and Electronic Devices.
I believe the wireless revolution is wreaking havoc with our immune systems. Thankfully knowledge is power when it comes to our health. Understanding the connection between microbial growth and electromagnetic radiation is a critical part of a complex puzzle.