Microwave - and other forms of electromagnetic - radiation are major (but conveniently disregarded, ignored, and overlooked) factors in many modern unexplained disease states. Insomnia, anxiety, vision problems, swollen lymph, headaches, extreme thirst, night sweats, fatigue, memory and concentration problems, muscle pain, weakened immunity, allergies, heart problems, and intestinal disturbances are all symptoms found in a disease process the Russians described in the 70's as Microwave Sickness.
Sunday, July 26, 2015
Switzerland: Electrosensitivity: "Electrosmog Makes Me Sick"
24 July 2015
Switzerland: Electrosensitivity: "Electrosmog Makes
"The underestimated risk"
Electrosensitivity : "Electrosmog makes me
sick" Beobachter 15/2015, 24 July 2015 (translated by the Editor of
this blog with the help of Google.)
Around 5 percent of the Swiss population consider
themselves electrosensitive - Lucja Stankiewicz is one of them.
persons suffer not only from their ailments, but also from the stigma of being
Lucja Stankiewicz has had a successful career as a
psychiatrist. She was also a municipal councillor in Muri, well-traveled,
and much involved socially.
When she bought a new cellular phone, the
complaints began. Suddenly she felt dizzy when making calls. She returned the
phone and switched the old one back on. The symptoms disappeared. Months
later, technicians laid an ISDN line. Stankiewicz suddenly began to
suffer from severe insomnia, which disappeared after switching off the line.
live like a cave dweller because electrosmog makes me sick" : Lucja
Then came 27 October 2008. The oil heater in the house was
replaced by a gas heater. "The work must have changed something in the
electrical situation of the house," says Stankiewicz. She began to
feel an inner agitation, she sensed she was unwell, had headaches, and felt she
could no longer stay in the apartment.
She moved temporarily to her parents.
There, the symptoms subsided.
Stankiewicz remembered an article in a medical
journal about electrosensitivity, was on the telephone consulting the doctors
of Environmental Protection [MfE]. "They told me to have my apartment
checked by an "Elektrobiologen" [building biologist]. Also, I was
examined medically and psychologically, "says Stankiewicz. She had a
mains cut-off installed in her apartment. The lines are only under power when
it is really needed, e.g. when a lamp is switched on. Above her bed, she stretched
a canopy made of a special fabric, spun in fine silver thread, which shields
the electromagnetic pollution.
The final confirmation of her
electrosensitivity came during a holiday in Unterbäch, a small village in the
Valais near Raron. "When I got there, I immediately noticed that I could
not stand it there. I had to cut short my vacation. In retrospect, I learned
that the community produces power with a small electrical utility," says
the 66-year-old psychiatrist.
After staying in Unterbäch, her complaints sharply
worsened. Virtually any electromagnetic source: trainlines, antennas,
wireless networks, caused dizziness, a burning sensation behind the breastbone.
She felt unsteady on her feet, suffered from itching and nausea, was irritable
and felt limited in her thinking.
Gradually, her ailments forced Stankiewicz
to withdraw from work and social life. She moved into an apartment building
whose owner is also electrosensitive. He has covered the walls with special
paint to make it shield the rays. Throughout Stankiewicz's living area, there
are few electrical appliances and in the bedroom, there are none. The
current to the lamps flows via a shielded cable, the TV has been discarded.
She listens to music only from a battery-powered radio. "I feel good
and I can recover from the electromagnetic pollution-related symptoms."
than meets the eye
A survey carried out in 2003 revealed that about five
percent of the Swiss population were electrohypersensitive.
range from mood swings, headaches, and concentration disorders to
cardiovascular symptoms. There are no generally accepted criteria for an
objective diagnosis. The causes of the health effects, according to Bafu [Swiss
Federal Office for the Environment] usually cannot accurately be determined.
is a subjective term: The patient has symptoms and suspects that they are
caused by electromagnetic pollution," says Peter Kälin, president of the
association Doctors for Environmental Protection.
However, the potential risks
of cell phone radiation alarm many people without symptoms. For example,
Christoph Thomet. "The four-meter high mobile antenna on the gable of the
adjacent building sparked my unease." Thomet and his family renovated a
house in Derendingen.
The 36-year-old social scientist wants to do everything
right. He got advice from a company specialized in electrosmog.
"Distance of Bed and Sofa"
from Deitingen SO advises private individuals and companies regarding
non-ionizing radiation. Even simple means go a long way: "furniture
such as a bed or couch, where we spend a long time, should be placed as far
away as possible from the radiation source," said Gugler. What
surprises his customers the most today is that most electromagnetic radiation
comes from within the home, not from outside. Appliances such as stoves,
hair dryers or irons produce locally strong magnetic fields. "Man is
exposed only briefly to this radiation. In addition, it decreases with
increasing distance from such facilities.
" Unlike electrical
installations or equipment in continuous operation: With clock radios, chargers
and lamps with transformers, Gugler recommends a distance of at least one
meter. Cordless phones, wireless speakers, and wireless networks, in continuous
operation, emit strong radiation. "With Wi-Fi only switched on when
needed, you are already contributing a lot to reducing radiation exposure in
" Making calls with less radiation:
Make calls using a
hands-free set (headset) in order to reduce radiation to the head. Carry
this phone on your belt or in the side pocket. Using wireless hands-free
with a Bluetooth transmitter is suitable and recommended.
Call if possible in
UMTS mode ("3G" will be displayed on the phone). You need a
UMTS-enabled mobile phone. UMTS mode emits about 100 times weaker than
the "usual" GSM operation ("2G" display). Make calls
short. Or: Write a text message or use a corded phone.
Call if possible only when reception quality is good (the
display shows the signal strength). Do not hold the phone to your ear when
connecting, because it emits at full strength (in UMTS mode, this measure is
unnecessary). When you buy a mobile phone, look for a low SAR "radiation
value" or purchase a UMTS device.