“Smart” Meter Fiasco in the UK
- Despite the EU Directive, 11 nations have ruled out electricity smart meters and only 5 are pushing ahead with the 2020 target for gas meters. In contrast, as is so often is the case, the UK has gold-plated the Directive.
- The government refuses to publish any of the reports on the programme by the Major Projects Authority.
- The cost-benefit analysis conducted by the Department for Energy and Climate Change is so heavily redacted as to be almost unreadable.
- The Smart Meter network would be vulnerable to cyber-attack and disruption.
- Introducing time-of-day pricing to shift consumer demand will only work with price increases that are not politically realistic. Retail consumers really can't change their energy consumption that much.”